J Michael DeMars
Systems and Reference & Instruction Librarian
2006, MLIS, San Jose State University
1998, B.A., University of California Santa Cruz
I currently work in both the Library Systems Department and Reference and Instruction Department at the Pollak Library. I am the subject liaison for the departments of Kinesiology, Health Science, and Nursing.
My ongoing study of the interaction between users and library research tools has led to development of innovative ways to ensure technology is meeting patrons’ information needs. I am primarily interested in information discovery and developing ways to improve existing search tools to better meet the need of our students, faculty and staff. My past projects have included building search widgets, co-developing a homegrown system for creating online research guides, and the production of multimedia content. My research interests include point-of-need information services, e-learning, information discovery, and web metrics.
Breitbach, W., & DeMars, J. (2009). Enhancing virtual reference: Technologies and enhancements to engage users and enrich interaction. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 14(3), 82-91.
DeMars, J.M. (2012). Smarter phones: Creating a pocket sized academic library. The Reference Librarian, 53(3), 253-262.
DeMars, J.M. (2016). Weeding by Committee: Involving Faculty in the Deselection Process.Paper presented at: IFLA WLIC 2016 – Columbus, OH – Connections.
- “Learning, Tuning, Tweaking - Better Sites for Users.” Computers in Libraries Conference, Washington DC. March 2012.
- “Mobilize Your Library: Making a Mobile Enhanced Website.” Association of College and Research Libraries, Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA. March 2011.
- “Cool Tools: Measuring, Visualizing and Analyzing What Libraries Do.” Computers in Libraries Conference, Washington DC. March 2011.
- “Smarter Phones: Creating a Pocket Sized Academic Library.” Handheld Librarian Online Conference III, Online Web Conference. July 2010.
- “Turning your Virtual Reference Service into the First-Class Service that Users Expect and Deserve.” Brick and Click Academic Symposium, Northwest Missouri University, Maryville, MO. November 2009.
- “Making Virtual Reference Multidimensional.” Internet Librarian, Monterey, CA. November 2009.
- “Library Subject Guide Widgets.” Association of College and Research Libraries, Annual Conference, Seattle, WA. March 2009.